Tuesday, October 2, 2012

King Abdullah II

I think that King Abdullah's attempt to maintain a constitutional monarchy in his country of Jordan will be successful. Although the countries surrounding Jordan have all transitioned into democracies, due to the Arab Spring, I believe that the Arab Spring will affect Jordan differently, as it has with every country. King Abdullah said that he has already changed one-third of his constitution, most likely in an attempt to pacify the Arab Spring movement. Because of this, I believe that the Arab Spring will not cause Jordan to become a democracy. Also, the people of Jordan seem happy with a constitutional monarchy and with King Abdullah as their leader. If the citizens of Jordan are content with their government, it is very unlikely that an uprising will occur to change the leadership. Once problems start arising in the government, that is when rebellions will happen.

1 comment:

  1. So in light of our conversation today, is Abdullah appeasing his people like Solon did, or is he enacting real reforms to change the areas of their discontent?

    ReplyDelete