Thursday, November 15, 2012

Harun al-Rashid

I think this article is a good quality source because it seems to be evenly written. It mentions some good aspects of Harun al-Rashid such as his beautiful capital of Baghdad. It also discusses how the empire crumbled under his regime. Some questions I have about Harun is whether he was respected by his subjects and other aspects of his actual rule. The Wikipedia article answers some questions but others arose because of it. To refine a Google search I would add another keyword to my search such as "Harun al-Rashid" + "rule". I believe that Harun's fame comes from the A Thousand and One Nights book that fantasizes Harun al-Rashid. Those stories evolved into more and more fantastic tales that caught the eye of popular culture because of their interesting fantasy aspects. This Wikipedia article adds to it but also warns the reader to take the info cum grano salis because of the mythical features given to Harun al-Rashid.

No comments:

Post a Comment