Tuesday, January 21, 2014

90s music opinion

Overall, I really liked the sound of the 90s. The increase in alternative rock bands is a major excitement for me due to my affinity for alternative. Listening to the Grooveshark playlist was almost like listening to Radio 92.9 because of their obsession with 90s alternative, repeatedly playing RHCP, Pearl Jam, and Counting Crows. Additionally, the grunge aspect of the 90s was appealing to me as well with songs such as Smells Like Teen Spirit, everyone's favorite. I hate to admit it but I even enjoyed the song "Everybody" by the BackStreet Boys and had it stuck in my head for the next two days. The three outcasts at the bottom of the playlist were fun and funny to listen to as well. Although the music is terrible and the lyrics are shallow, listening and singing alone to "I'm Too Sexy" is a fun time and a great self-esteem booster. "Mambo No. 5" and "Macarena" are both upbeat and good dance songs. Although a bit slow at times, a favorite of mine is Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You". Looking through the playlist, I could not find any overarching connection between the songs and the events of the decade. It seemed like each genre has a different message to tell. A recurring theme is love, relationships, and sex which could be the representation of the Clinton sex scandal which was on everybody's mind all of the time during the 90s. Overall, a wonderful year for music.

No comments:

Post a Comment